Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Skyscrapers and other large structures built on soft ground must be anchored to bedrock.
- Wood and steel are better than brick, stone, and adobe, which are brittle and will break.
- Communities must weigh how great the hazard is, what different building strategies will cost, and how much risk they are willing to take.
- Cost is an important factor in deciding how safe to make the structures in an area.
- Fires start because seismic waves rupture gas and electrical lines.
- The shapes of pipes can make a big difference.