Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Earth has a magnetic field that behaves like a giant bar magnet inside the planet.
- People can navigate by finding magnetic north.
- The magnetic field is created by the movement of molten metal in the outer core.
- The North Magnetic Pole is not the same as the geographic North Pole.
- Scientists are not sure why this happens, but the fact that it does happen is useful to scientists.
- In the chapter Plate Tectonics, you'll learn how to collect cores from rocks at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.