Select from the frequently asked questions below
- A rock under enough stress will fracture.
- There may or may not be movement along the fracture.
- If there is no movement, the fracture is called a joint.
- Faults can occur alone or in clusters.
- A cluster of faults creates a fault zone.
- Earthquakes happen when rocks break and move suddenly.
- Unlike what some people think, California will not fall into the ocean someday.
- The land west of the San Andreas Fault is moving northeastward, while the North American plate moves southwest.
- Someday, millions of years from now, Los Angeles will be a suburb of San Francisco!