Select from the frequently asked questions below
- People in favor say the oil from tar sands will bring down energy costs and provide jobs.
- People opposed say that the environmental consequences are not worth the benefits.
- Technologies are being developed to get at harder-to-reach sources.
- Tar sands and oil shale fuels create more pollutants than other fossil fuels.
- The future of the pipeline is currently on hold.
- The oil would travel into the United States.
- In the U.S. it would be refined.
- A leak could also release enough oil to contaminate the Ogallala Aquifer.
- The Aquifer is crucial to agriculture and urban development.