Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Glaciers are not static; they grow, they move and they shrink.
- Ice caps are large glaciers that cover a larger area than just a valley.
- An ice cap can bury an entire mountain range or region.
- Glaciers come off of ice caps into valleys.
- Ice moves where the pressure is so great that the ice needs to move away.
- Ice slides at the bottom of a glacier because the ground is lubricated by water that melted from the glacier above.
- Melting glaciers in mountain regions provide an important source of water.