How can I help the ocean?
Some actions that people can take to help protect the oceans include:
- Reduce single-use plastics, choose reusable products wherever possible.
- Ensure any plastic you use is recycled or disposed of properly.
- Avoid products that shed microplastics, such as clothing items made with plastic (acrylic).
- Avoid the use of harmful chemicals around your home, such as pesticides, which can get into local waterways and end up in the ocean.
- Be sure all toxic household waste (e.g., oil) is disposed of properly.
- Choose seafood carefully to avoid products that are overfished or fished with harmful methods.
- Support efforts to reduce carbon emissions.
- Be mindful when you visit the ocean. Follow local guidelines to avoid harming natural habitats.
- Join an ocean conservation organization to learn more about how you can help with specific efforts to protect or restore ocean habitats.