Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Magnetite is a magnetic mineral found in lava.
- The magnetite points to the magnetic north pole when it cools.
- Scientists used magnetometers to show where the north magnetic pole had been when magnetite crystals cooled.
- The magnetic pole seemed to have moved, but had not.
- The simplest explanation is that the continents have moved.
- Apparent polar wander is another line of evidence for drifting continents.
- The two paths merge into one if the continents are allowed to drift.
- If the continents were always in their current locations, the poles would remain the same.