Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Mineralogists divide minerals into groups based on chemical composition.
- Most minerals fit into one of eight mineral groups.
- Silicates are the largest mineral group and make up over 90% of Earth's crust.
- Calcite contains calcium, carbon, and oxygen.
- Oxides contain one or two metal elements combined with oxygen.
- Turquoise contains copper, aluminum, and phosphorus.
- Magnetite contains four iron atoms and the word “magnet’s” in the name.