Select from the frequently asked questions below
- The Moon rotates on its axis once for every orbit it makes around Earth.
- With no atmosphere, the Moon is not protected from extreme temperatures.
- Daytime temperatures can reach as high as 123°C (253°F).
- At night, the average temperature drops to -153°C (-243°F) The Moon's coldest temperatures are found deep in the craters.
- Tiny micrometeorites bombard the Moon's surface and smooth it over time.
- Scientists estimate volcanic activity on the Moon ended about 1.2 billion years ago.