Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Harry Hess was a geology professor and a naval officer.
- He commanded an attack transport ship during WWII.
- Hess was intrigued by the seafloor maps produced with the ship's echo sounder.
- He thought about all of the evidence for continental drift.
- And he found the mechanism to explain them all.
- Convection currents within the mantle drive the continents.
- The continents are pushed by oceanic crust, like they are on a conveyor belt.
- The spreading plate takes along any continent that rides on it.