Select from the frequently asked questions below
- Aquatic biomes are determined mainly by sunlight and concentrations of dissolved oxygen and nutrients in the water.
- The availability of that sunlight has a direct impact on the productivity and biodiversity of aquatic ecosystems.
- Two ocean zones are particularly challenging to marine organisms: the intertidal zone and the deep ocean.
- Marine Protected Areas are no-fishing zones that have recently been established up and down the California coast, allowing fish to breed, grow large, and replenish waters.
- Scientists monitor these areas to determine if they are working.