Select from the frequently asked questions below.
- Use the resource below to answer the following questions.
- Diffusion is the movement of a substance from an area of a higher amount toward a lower amount.
- The diffusion of water across a membrane because of a difference in concentration is called osmosis.
- If a cell is placed in a hypotonic solution, water will move into the cell.
- This causes the cell to swell, and it may even burst.
- Marine animals live in salt water, which is a hypertonic environment.
- Red blood cells can be kept from bursting or shriveling if put in a solution that is isotonic to the blood cells.
What is the movement of ions from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration?